Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Federer and Djokovic to meet in semis


Six-time champion Roger Federer will once again face defending champion Novak Djokovic in the semi-finals at Wimbledon after both cruised easily through their quarter finals on Wenesday.

In only an hour and 32 minutes, the man with 16 Grand Slam titles beat Russia’s Mikhail Youzhny 6-1 6-2 6-2 on Centre Court.

Not less impressive, Djokovic took down Florian Mayer 6-4 6-1 6-4 in an hour and 44 minutes.

Roger FedererIt is the sixth time in the last eight Grand Slam tournaments that Swiss met top seed Djokovic have met in the final four.

Djokovic has won four of those encounters, although this will be the first time they battle on the grass of Wimbledon.

“I though I played great out there” Roger said. “I’m extremely happy to be back in the semi-finals here at Wimbledon.

“I think it helps when royalty shows up and other legends of the game come to see my play. I think it’s inspiring. I’m happy they came to support tennis and support me. It was very special”

Djokovic, a five-time major champion, said: “I’m looking forward to it. It’s always a pleasure playing him. He is a great champion.

Novak Djokovic
Djokovic looks clear in defending the title

“He has dominated for so long. He is so consistent and for me it will be the ultimate challenge.”


No comments:

Post a Comment