Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Ryan Giggs captain GB football team at London 2012 Olympics

Manchester United midfielder Ryan Giggs has been appointed captain of Great Britain football team for the Olympics

Stuart Pearce said that a number of players were capable of the role, but Giggs was the “standout captain” in the 18 man squad.

The 38-year-old player said: “It’s a tremendous honor to be captain.”

Ryan Giggs to be captain of GB's football team in London Olympics 2012

Giggs is one of the 3 over-age player in the squad, will lead Great Britain team to face Brazil on 20th July in a warm-up match at Middlesbrough’s Riverside Stadium.

In his career, Giggs has had 12 Premier League titles and 2 Champions League with Manchester United.

“He’s got the respect of all members of the group,” said Pearce, who provoked controversy by not picking David Beckham in the team GB party. “I looked at the squad and I thought there are some good candidates there.”

"Aaron Ramsey captains Wales, Micah Richards has captained Manchester City at times, Craig Bellamy for the experience he's had and one or two others within the camp as well.

"But I think Ryan is the standout captain amongst the group.

"It was the easiest decision of my managerial career. He has been one of the best professionals of the last 20 years.”

Giggs, who retired from international football since 2007, did not experience much competitive football for Wales because of their failure to reach World Cup or European Championship.

After facing Senegal on 26 July, Great Britain will meet United Arab Emirates at Wembley on 29 July.

Pearce also revealed that Daniel Sturridge, who missed the preparation camp at Loughborough and will miss training sessions in Spain next week due to viral meningitis, will be assessed early next week to see if he fits for the Olympics

He said: “If he is truly fit, he will stay with us. If we think there are any doubts in any shape or form, we will call someone else to replace him.

“July 25 is the latest we can make that decision”. 

Bayer Leverkusen rejected Chelsea’s €20 million bid for Andre Schurrle

Bayer Leverkusen have reportedly rejected Chelsea’s offer of €20 million for forward Andre Schurrle.

The London club already signed Eden Hazard and Marko Marin this summer but continue to be linked with players across Europe

After failing with a bid for Wigan winger Victor Moses last week, it seems that Chelsea was ready to make a move on Schurrle. But it appears that Bayer Leverkusen was ready to keep the forward.

Germany, Bundesliga, Bayer 04 Leverkusen, Andre Schurrle
Andre to stay at Bayer Leverkusen

Leverkusen CEO Wolfgang Holzhauser was quoted in his statement to German news agency SID on Sunday: “We were presented withy a very concrete offer from Chelsea for Andre of beyond the €20 million mark.

“The sum was pushed back and forth between two clubs. We ultimately chose Andre.

“He is very valuable to us and also made it clear that he would like to stay with us.”

Roberto Mancini signs record breaking contract with Manchester City

Mancini’s new £37.5 million contract makes him British football’s highest-paid manager. With this contract, the City’s chief cleared off speculation over his future despite a very tempting offer of £6.5 million a year by Russian FA.

He said: “I’m very much looking forward to the challenges and excitement ahead. The opportunity that exits to build on our recent success is huge.”

The 47-year-old coach was wanted by Russian FA to replace the Dick Advocaat, who left right after EURO 2012, for their World Cup 2018 Plan, which will be hosted in Russia.

However, Mancini was ready to commit a 5 year contract with the English Premier League champion. His record breaking £7.5 million a year takes him way above Manchester United boss Alex Ferguson in the pay league.

Fergie only earns around £4 million a year at Old Trafford.

This new contract is the gift for Mancini’s achievement of guiding City to their first title in 44 year.

Mancino's record-breaking contract underlies City's stability

“I’m delighted to be able to give my all to City for a further five years,” he said.

“This is a fantastic club from the owner, chairman, board and executive team through to players, staff and fans.”

The Italian coach ended the club’s 35-year long wait for silverware with last year’s FA triumph, followed by winning the Premier League on the final day 12 months later.

This news, therefore, will come a relief to City supporters. 

Park Ji-Sung leaves Man Utd and completes QPR move

QPR has announced the signing of Park Ji-Sung from Manchester United.

Park made an appearance at a press conference on Monday after agreeing to two-year deal with a club for a fee believed to be around £2.5 million.

The South Korea international revealed that he hasn’t spoken to Sir Alex Ferguson about this move. “It was a difficult decision but I had to do it,” said Park.

“QPR showed me their ambition, and that is why I think it was time to have a new challenge.

“I think it is the right challenge. I’m looking forward to my time at QPR.”

Park Ji-Sung completes QPR deal

QPR had promised that their press conference would “put the QPR bran on a global scale” and had many members of the Asian press attending.

Mark Hughes, QPR’s boss, on the other hand insisted that the Park was signed purely because of his skill.

“He is someone that I’ve admired from afar for many, many years,” he said.

“He’s a player with great energy, great technical ability and he will bring a lot to the team.

“He’s a very motivated guy. It’s a very exciting time for QPR and he will be a big part of that.”

Manchester United defender Fabio da Silva has already joined the club on a season-long loan.

Monday, July 9, 2012

Luke Shaw not for sale, insisted Nigel Adkins

Southampton manager, Nigel Adkins, insists that Luke Shaw, who has been reported with a move to Chelsea, is not for sale.

Shaw had only one first team appearance for the newly-promoted EPL team, but have been linked to many big boys.

Manchester City, Arsenal and Tottenham have shown interest in the left-back, but last week there’s report that Chelsea is leading the race and willing to folk out £4 million to secure the deal. Luke Saw made his first team debut in the FA Cup at Millwall last season.

However, Southampton boss confirmed that he has no intention of letting the young talent leave the club.

"Luke Shaw is a big part of our future plans," he told the Daily Star.

"We have got no intention, believe you me, of letting any of our young players move on.

"We want them in the first team in the Premier League, playing for Southampton Football Club."

Nigel Adkins insisted that Luke Saw is not for sale

Andy Carroll on loan to AC Milan?

AC Milan are reportedly considering making a loan on Liverpool striker Andy Carroll.

Pier Silvio Berlusconi, the president of Mediaset – the holding company that owns AC Milan – and the son of the club owner Silvio Berlusconi, urged his father last week to make for the Englishman this summer.

The Junior the Berlusconi has acted as the consultant on the club’s transfer deals in recent years. He believes that Carroll will be a valuable addition to the club.

The Sun has revealed that Berlusconi is seriously considering taking his son’s advice and might make a loan move for Liverpool striker soon.

However, it seems that Milan is unwilling to stump up the required cash for a permanent deal.

Former England striker Mark Hateley, a member of Milan after transferring from Portsmouth at the age of 21, said he believed that Carroll will benefit by playing for AC Milan.

Andy Carroll

"It would be breath of fresh air for Andy Carroll," he told talkSPORT.

"It would be great to go away and test himself in a new environment, a new culture and a different way of living.

"That was key for my development when I was so young. I played under a young Fabio Capello at Milan. They teach you the game inside and out, that’s what they do in these countries, especially Italy.

"Big strikers have always been a handful. It would be great for Andy and, when he’s taken all that on board, it’ll be great for England.

"At his age you’re still very young and very raw. You’re susceptible to taking on new projects and ideas.

"He’s got great strengths in his game already but he still has a lot of weaknesses. They [Milan] can deconstruct his game and build it back up again to the way a European centre-forward should be."

Wimbledon 2012: Federer made history, Murray denied yet again

Andy Murray, the world number 4, was aiming to be the first British man since Fred Perry in 1936 to win a major single title.

But the Swiss best, Roger Federer, denied him once again by winning 4-6, 7-5, 6-3, 6-4 to match Pete Sampras’ record of 7 Wimbledon title, and regain the world number one ranking.

Roger Federer wins his seventh Wimbledon singles title
Federer won his seventh Wimbledon and reclaimed the world number 1 ranking

Murray now has lost all four of his Grand Slam finals. Incidentally, his coach Ivan Lendl shared the same faith as he lost his first four Grand Slam finals.

The Briton, however, was able to win his first set in a Grand Slam final, something that he wasn’t able to do, partly due to his inexperience and nervousness. Mentality, on the other hand, wasn’t shown on Murray’s game last night as he started off excellently.

The Fed Express was the one that seemed to be under pressure as he uncharacteristically started off slow and gave Murray the early lead of 2-0 in the first set. Murray kept on coming at it, and got the first set after another break in the 10th game.

In second set, both players were consistent in their service game. Federer hel 6-5 before going on his attack. Coming from 15-40 down he leveled the match with a sensational backhand drop volley.

Third set was halted because of heavy rain and for the first time the roof was closed in a Wimbledon final. This was the turning point of the game as Federer’s near perfect game indoor.

Even so, Federer fully deserved his victory as his splendid display in the last two sets. We once again saw the man that was above everyone else, as he fired shots after shots from forehand to backhand, slice to lob. Despite being the younger in the final, Murray fell down 3 times in the third set and chasing the ball with heavy feet in fourth set.

17 Grand Slam title and 286 week as world number one for Federer, the arguably all time best.

“It’s amazing. It equals me with Pete Sampras, who’s my hero,” said Federer, who lost in the quarterfinals at the All England Club 2010 and 2011. “It just feels amazing”.

“This year I guess I decided in the bigger matches to take it more to my opponent instead of waiting a bit more for mistakes”.

“Yeah, this is I guess how you want to win Wimbledon, is by going after your shots, believing you can do it, and that’s what I was able to do today. It’s special”.

Murray broke down in tears at the end, having beaten by Federer in three Grand Slam finals. He directed at the crowd: “Everybody always talks about the pressure playing at Wimbledon, how tough it is. It’s not the people watching. They make it so much easier to play. The support has been incredible, so thank you.”

Britain's Andy Murray
Tears had been shed for Murray, he now has lost all his four Grand Slam finals